Friday, August 24, 2012

Fat Quarter Friday: Wrap Tie Bracelet (How to turn a skinny tie)

I made up this cute little bracelet by mistake. I had made this tie for a project and then discarded it in favor of another. Not one to waste things, I tied it around my wrist and loved how it looked, hence this bracelet was born. This is also a tutorial for making a thin turned tie.
Materials:
1 fat quarter
Large needle
Strong thread

Step 1: Cut your fat quarter into strips, 1"x22". You can cut as few or as many strips as you like. The first bracelet was made from 3 strips and the second from 4. The first wraps around my wrist nine times while the second wraps around twelve times. It's all up to you.
 Step 2: Sew the strips end to end, right sides together. Iron the seams open.
 Step 3: With right sides together, sew the long ends together using a 1/4" seam. At this point you can trim up near to the seam if you wish (this will make turning easier), but I left it. I like how it makes the tie a little fatter.
 Step 4: Take your large needle and long piece of thread (I did 80", but it doesn't matter too much) and tread the needle so that you've got a double thread going on and make sure it's tied through the eye of the needle and not loose. Put a big knot at the bottom and push the needle through the seam on one end of the strip.
 You can see how I've put the needle through the spot again so it's got a tight loop hold. Now take the needle and thread it through the tube. Pull and gather up the tube until you get the needle out the other end. Then you can work to turn the tube right side out. Help get the end with the knot in it started by pushing it in on itself with something pointy like a knitting needle.
Step 5: It takes doing it once to get the hang of it, but then it's super easy. Finish turning the tube right side out. Tie the two ends together in a tight knot.
 Loop it around your wrist and admire your cute new bracelet!
 I love how comfortable they are! I love bangles, but they end up hurting my wrists; these feel like nothing at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment