Thursday, May 3, 2012

Recipe Fail: Lemon Bars

I'm totally craving these lemon squares that I have a dim memory of from my childhood, so I found a recipe online and eagerly made them. I'm not going to tell you where I got the recipe from, because I think that would be rude, but these were a total bust. The crust is way to thick, the lemony part isn't very lemony, and it didn't solidify well, it just kind of turned into yellow goo. If anyone has a good lemon square recipe, please help me!
You may be wondering why I went to the trouble of writing up the recipe if it sucked. Well, I actually typed it all out after I made them, but before I tasted them...sigh.

Ingredients:
Crust:
1 1/2 C softened butter
3 C flour
3/4 C powdered sugar
Filling:
2 C sugar
1 t baking powder
2 T flour
4 eggs
1/4 C fresh lemon juice (it took me 1 1/2 lemons)

Step 1: Mix crust ingredients together. I used a pastry hand mixer and it worked great. It will be very dry looking, but don't worry, it's supposed to look like that.

Step 2: Grease a 9x13 pan and press your crust mixture into it. I dumped the mix in and then used saran wrap to push it down into a nice even crust.

Step 3: Mix the filling ingredients together and then beat on medium for 3 minutes. Pour over crust.

Step 4: Bake for 25 minutes at 350.

Step 5: Let cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and cut into bars. You'll need to keep these in the fridge, but be sure to take them out about 10 minutes before you want to serve them.

No comments:

Post a Comment