Friday, February 24, 2012

Fat Quarter Friday: Fabric Yo Yo

This week I made a quick and easy fabric yo yo. I can't believe that I've been sewing pretty much my whole life and never knew how to make one of these! I can't remember which blog I saw these on first, but pretty much everybody knows how to make them, so I've seen them on multiple crafting sites. I decided to add a button and attach them to a pair of baby pants, um freaking adorable!

Materials:
1 Fat Quarter
Something round to trace
Needle and thread

Step 1: Trace around something circular. I used a CD case which resulted in a yo yo about 3" in diameter. Cut out as many as you think you'll want to make.

Step 2: Take your needle and thread and put a knot at the end of it. With your fabric circle wrong side up put your needle through it about 1/8" away from the edge.
Step 3: You're now going to weave your needle in and out of the fabric about 1/8" away from the edge. The closer together your stitches are, the bigger the circle in the middle will be.
 
 Go all the way around to where your knot is.
Step 4: Pull your string tight so that the fabric gathers up. Once it's nice and bunched up in the middle tie off your string. Now you can be done at this point, or your can put a button in the middle to cover up the hole. Embellish away!
 Here are some examples of how your yo yo's can turn out quite differently depending on how you stitch them up.
Top Right: Turn under your edge while you stitch and use small stitches that are close together.
Top Left: Turn under your edge while you stitch and use larger stitches that aren't that close together.
Bottom Right: Don't turn under your edge (like how I did in this tutorial) and use small stitches that are close together.
Bottom Left: Don't turn under your edge and use larger stitches that aren't that close together.

1 comment: