Friday, February 17, 2012

Fat Quarter Friday: Fabric Covered Container for Knitting Needles

So this week I made a fabric covered clorox wipes container to store my knitting needles. I used the tutorial from tatertotsandjello . They used their covered containers to hold plastic bags, but since I just made something to hold my bags I decided to use it to hold my knitting needles!
Materials:
One fat quarter
Empty clorox or lysol wipes container
Tape measure
Mod Podge
Foam brush
Some ribbon (optional)

Step 1: Wash out your container and remove the label.
Now measure how tall it is, mine was about 7.5",
and how big it is around, mine was about 13.5".
Step 2: Cut your fat quarter to those dimensions, mine was again, 7.5 x 13.5".
Step 3: You'll probably want to lay down some scrap paper for this part. Turn your fabric so the wrong side is facing up and use your brush to evenly brush on some mod podge. Make sure that you get the sides and corners well.
Step 4: Start with one edge and roll it onto your clorox container. I let this part dry a little bit, and then I put some strips of ribbon on around the top and bottom of the fabric with the mod podge. I thought this gave it a little bit nicer finish, but it's not necessary.
Now fill with your knitting needles, or
with grocery bags like they did on tatertotsandjello, or anything else semi-small and awesome!
This craft was fun, super quick and easy, it literally only took me about 5 minutes total!

No comments:

Post a Comment