The first set of climbers are my Japanese wisteria that I desperately want to climb up our pergola. I had to plant them a decent way from the posts however, so they haven't been able to latch on yet. I bought some climbing nets at the hardware store for a couple bucks a piece.
We tied them to the base of the plant and then stapled them to the post of the pergola with a heavy duty stapler from the craft store. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it'll get the job done, and then I can cut them off once the plant is established on the post.
The next place I need a trellis was behind some of my clematises. They've grown so big with nowhere to go that they've been climbing all over themselves forming these giant clematis balls. So We went the home improvement store near us (Menards) and found this for only $9.
I needed two shortish trellises, so I used a little handsaw and cut them in half and cut off the weird extra bits so they looked the same. (If you've never used a little handsaw, don't be intimidated, it's super easy and fast. They're handy to have around.)
I then used the handsaw to cut little points at the end so they would go into the ground easier.
Here's a before picture of my droopy clematis lumps.
I placed the new pieces behind the old ones and pounded the in with a hammer.
Then I helped them out a little bit by draping some of the tendrils on the new trellises. Much better!
Ahh, happy plants!