Friday, August 19, 2011

Fat Quarter Friday: Change Purse

This week I decided to make a change purse for Fat Quarter Friday. I know change purses are a little useless since everyone uses debit or credit cards, but it's actually the perfect size for your cards and cell phone. Plus, the real reason I wanted to make one is because it uses fusible interfacing which I have never used, so I thought it'd be a nice little project to learn on. Also, who doesn't need more practice with zippers? I know I do, I'm terrible at them.

Materials: 
1 fat quarter
Some fusible interfacing
1 zipper

Step 1: Cut out four equal sized pieces. I cut mine 4" x 5". If you wanted to you could actually make about four little purses from one fat quarter, I however am just making one. Also, it's super cute to make the lining out of a different fabric, but I'm just using the same for the outside and the lining.
 Step 2: Fold one of the long edges under 1/4" and press, do this on all four pieces. Then, cut out two pieces of the fusible interfacing to fit the new size. I cut mine to be 3 3/4" x 5". Place the interfacing shiny side down on two of your four pieces (which ever two are going to be your lining). Make sure you place the interfacing under the folded part you just ironed. Now press with the iron until the stuff sticks. Super easy and cheap. Apparently you have to ask for the interfacing at the store because they keep it behind the counter. It took me a long time to figure that out.

 Step 3: Now take your zipper and one of your pieces with the interfacing and place the turned under edge right along the zipper (about 1/8" - 1/16" away from it). Make sure your zipper is about 3/8" in from the edge of your fabric. Pin and sew using a zipper foot. Do the same exact thing with the other side and then trim the edges of the zipper to be flush with the fabric. Pull the zipper about 3/4 of the way open and leave it there.


 Step 4: Fold the fabric right sides together and sew along the sides. I was having difficulty getting the seam started right on the zipper, so I actually made sure everything was lined up really well and started sewing from the bottom up to the zipper. This worked so much better for me. Sew both side edges and then the bottom edge. Once all the edges are sewn you can clip the corners and turn it right side out. You're done with the outside!


 Step 5: Now for the lining. Take your two lining pieces and place them right sides together. Sew along the three edges leaving the long edge with the turned under edges open. Clip the bottom corners and turn right side out.
 Step 6: Take the outside of your change purse and turn the zippered part down about half way. Place it on the table as shown. Take your lining and place it open edge on top. You're now going to slip the weird turned piece with the zipper into the lining piece. Only put it in about half way so that the top edge of your lining just about meets the zipper teeth. At this point you can decide to either hand sew the lining to the zipper or you can machine sew it. I don't mind hand sewing and it looks better, so that's what I did. Make sure to keep the fabric far enough away from the zipper so that it doesn't interfere with opening or closing.

 Step 7: Turn in right side out. You're done! It's pretty cute! Now you can put all your treasures inside. I put my really old and horrible phone in it!


So, I'm glad I made this little project, the zipper went well and the interfacing was really easy to use. Apparently the hardest part about interfacing is finding it in the store. I like the stability it gives to the bag, it makes it feel very sturdy, like it could actually hold change without ripping. Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment